Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween and Homemade Popcorn Balls

Today was "trunk or treat" at Jack's pre-school. This is a relatively new phenomenon where churches or schools host trick or treating in their parking lots, with parents passing out candy from the trunk of their cars. Not sure how I feel about that, but I'm probably hung up on Halloweens past, where my brothers and I used to wander every neighborhood we could get to with our pillowcases.
Since I'm a grandmother now, I can appreciate a quote from Erma Bombeck on the topic of grandmothers and Halloween (a "two - fer" on this spooky holiday!):

A grandmother pretends she doesn't know who you are on Halloween.

I miss my grandmother's homemade popcorn balls. Can you imagine if she were still alive and handed them out to trick or treaters? They would be the first thing into the garbage during the "candy safety check." Sad that today's children live in fear of every stranger they meet, and can't enjoy a little old lady's homemade popcorn balls and a run through the neighborhood with pillowcase in hand. Happy Halloween, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment